Former Brazilian President and Trump Ally Begins Prison Sentence

Brazil’s former president Jair Bolsonaro must begin serving a 27-year prison sentence for plotting an attempted coup, Supreme Court Justice Alexandre de Moraes ruled Tuesday. Bolsonaro’s legal team declined to file a final appeal after his conviction for orchestrating a 2022 effort to overturn the election of President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva.

Moraes subsequently asked that the conviction be deemed final, eliminating any remaining avenues for appeal and triggering enforcement of the sentence, CNN reported.

Bolsonaro has been held at the Federal Police headquarters since Saturday, when authorities arrested him for tampering with his court-ordered ankle monitor. Moraes said Tuesday that Bolsonaro will serve his sentence at the facility.

Despite the ruling, Bolsonaro’s attorney, Paulo Cunha Bueno, wrote on X that the former president would continue to pursue legal avenues to challenge the conviction.

On Saturday, Bolsonaro’s attorneys called his arrest “unjustifiable” and argued that his health is at risk in custody. Later that day, the Supreme Court released a video it says shows Bolsonaro admitting to using a soldering iron to tamper with his ankle monitor.

According to the court, Bolsonaro claimed he was not attempting to evade house arrest, but said he acted while experiencing hallucinations brought on by new medication.

The case stems from the period immediately after Bolsonaro lost his 2022 reelection campaign to Lula da Silva. Federal investigators say Bolsonaro and his allies quickly began outlining an illegal strategy to remain in power, culminating in the January 8, 2023 attack on government buildings in Brasília by his supporters.

After President Donald Trump — a political ally of Bolsonaro — returned to office in 2024, the case became a point of tension in U.S.–Brazil relations. In July, Trump imposed steep tariffs on select Brazilian exports and urged Brazil to abandon what he described as a “witch hunt” against the former president, CNN noted.

However, by the time Bolsonaro was taken into custody over the weekend, the White House had already granted tariff exceptions for several of Brazil’s largest exports. Asked about the arrest on Saturday, President Trump said he had not been informed of the development but called it “too bad.”

Last month, Secretary of State Marco Rubio announced the U.S. has revoked the visas of de Moraes, several of his judicial allies, and their immediate family members in response to what he described as a “political witch hunt” targeting Bolsonaro.

“[President Trump] made clear that his administration will hold accountable foreign nationals who are responsible for censorship of protected expression in the United States,” said Rubio, who is also serving as President Trump’s national security adviser.

“Brazilian Supreme Federal Court Justice Alexandre de Moraes’s political witch hunt against Jair Bolsonaro created a persecution and censorship complex so sweeping that it not only violates basic rights of Brazilians, but also extends beyond Brazil’s shores to target Americans,” Rubio continued.

“I have therefore ordered visa revocations for Moraes and his allies on the court, as well as their immediate family members effective immediately,” he noted further.

The secretary of state’s announcement came hours after Brazil’s highest court issued restraining orders and search warrants against former President Jair Bolsonaro, barring him from contacting foreign officials. Authorities also placed an ankle monitor on Bolsonaro and conducted a police raid on his residence, The Hill reported.

“I feel supreme humiliation,” the former Brazilian president told Reuters in a recent interview. “I am 70 years old, I was president of the republic for four years.”

Bolsonaro and several of his allies, who contend the charges are politically motivated, were indicted in February over an alleged “coup” attempt and efforts to remain in power following his 2022 election loss to current President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva.

He has also been banned from running for public office until 2030, The Hill added.

Related Posts

Major Break in Charlie Kirk Murder Probe: Prosecutors Cite Massive Evidence File Against Suspect

Charlie Kirk, a fiery conservative activist and a lightning rod for ideological warfare, was shot to death on a rooftop in Salt Lake City. The man now…

Senate RepubIicans Confirm More Than 100 Trump Nominees

Senate Republicans have confirmed over 100 of President Donald Trump’s nominees, clearing the backlog of pending appointments in a single move. The confirmations came after the Senate…

Former WH Doctor Gives Grim OutIook On Biden’s Cancer Prognosis

A top doctor to Presidents Barack Obama and Donald Trump told the Washington Free Beacon that the prognosis for former President Joe Biden’s metastatic prostate cancer is…

Trump Announces Sweeping New Immigration Response After National Guard Shooting in Washington, D.C.

President Donald Trump issued a forceful statement late Thursday night in the aftermath of the fatal shooting of a National Guard service member in Washington, D.C., outlining…

GOP Senator Doesn’t Support Trump’s $2,000 Tariff Refunds

Sen. Ron Johnson on Monday pushed back against President Trump’s proposal to issue $2,000 “tariff dividend” checks to Americans ahead of the 2026 midterm elections, arguing the…

Federal Court Upholds North Carolina’s Redistricting Map

A three-judge panel in North Carolina turned down a challenge to new redistricting plans on Wednesday. This is happening while other states work to redistrict the whole…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *